President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Activity Searching

Sare just left a comment on the previous post:

"How do you find all these resources? I want to know how you find the cool ideas you post. What kind of search do you do?"


Considering my lack of posting recently, I am sure that all of you are well ahead of me now in your scripture reading and I thought that it would be good idea to let you know how I find all my activities that I find each week. That way, you can carry on without me and I wont feel guilty every time I see that I am only up to chapter 19 and Sare is up to chapter 29!!!! (I am SO sorry Sare!)

First things first. See my list of Websites I Reference in the side bar there.... just under the long-winded blurb about the blog. Yep... the first website listed is the one I frequent most often. If you go to friend.lds.org you will see on the right side of the page there is an option to search The Friend.

I started at friend.lds.org mostly just searching through the sharing time ideas and then adapting them to fit a toddler's standard. This kind of fell dead a few posts ago when I couldn't find anything that I could adapt.

Then I figured I could type in the search box, "For Little Friends (and then my topic)". Then all I got was all the fun activities and stories specifically designed for littler people.

Some of my ideas also come from reading the stories in The Friend that are related to my topic. The idea of going on a picnic and letting your toddler carry the heavy bag, then lifting it to show how Heavenly Father lifts our burdens.... that idea came from a story that I read in The Friend.

Of course if you go to the Primary Manuals link you will find some wonderful ideas and activities particularly in the Nursery Manual. Although, I find that I only go to this resource if I have completely bled The Friend dry!

If your toddler is definitely into colouring then I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the LDS Family Fun (also known as Living Scriptures) website. I have mentioned before that they require a log in, but it is free to sign up and you get access to all their activity booklets. HOURS of colouring fun to be had there. If you can't find anything there, then the LDS Clipart link will have pretty much anything else you are looking for.

Two things that are important to remember:

  1. I always try to adapt what we do in our every day play to incorporate a gospel message. Marching around banging instruments is definitely the flavour of the week for us. So singing as many marching Primary songs that go along with our theme works!
  2. It helps to read the story and choose a theme before the week starts. That way you have a direction for your activities.

I hoped this has helped somewhat. Now you can all send me your wonderful ideas that you have been saving up to tell me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment