President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Monday, August 3, 2009

Week 19: Chapter 19 - The Sons of Mosiah Become Missionaries

Book of Mormon Stories
Chapter 19: The Sons of Mosiah Become Missionaries

As soon as I started reading this story I began humming "I Want to be a Missionary Now". And now I can't get it out of my head!! LQ and I spent the afternoon marching around the living room playing "instruments" and singing. I am thinking that I could do the same but sing "I Want to be a Missionary Now."

I love that just like young men today, the Sons of Mosiah gave up an opportunity that to the world would seem too good to give up - being King. Young men today give up so many opportunities to serve the Lord while on their mission... I think "sacrifice" would be a wonderful theme to go along with "being a Missionary" this week.

Aside from singing my missionary song, here are some other ideas.
  • Make some cookies for the Elders in your ward
  • Draw a picture for a missionary you may know that is serving. My brother is serving in Canada at the moment and I think he would appreciate something from his little niece!
  • Sing "I Hope they Call Me on a Mission"
  • There are two pages in the LDSFamilyFun booklet "Ammon, Missionary to the Lamanites" that are good colouring pages pertinent to this story. Remember you need to have a sign in (free to register) to access the activity books.
Friend Activities
  • July 2008 - This page is full of goodness. It has a poem about the Son's of Mosiah with hand actions. It also has a colouring and pasting missionary activity. And a great little story about a missionary.
  • September 2002 - Has a great poem about being different things when you grow up. Maybe you could say the poem while changing hats for the different occupations. Then give your toddler a missionary badge made from cardboard.
  • July 1996 - A poem similar to the one above.

2 comments:

  1. How do you find all these resources? We're on Chapter 29 now. I've just been reading the same story every day for the week, and talk about it. I want to know how you find the cool ideas you post. What kind of search do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! Thanks for the ideas. xx

    ReplyDelete