Chapter 7: Building the Ship
My apologies for the post delay this week. LQ and I have already started our scriptures for this week, but another project has consumed all my "LQ nap" time. So today I made myself sit down and work out what else LQ and I are going to do this week for scripture study.
LQ is still responding well to the quicktime version of the stories. Dal was making fun of them last night - whatever works I say. LQ also enjoyed flicking through my scriptures this morning while I explained to her that Heavenly Father blesses us when we keep the commandments.
This week Nephi and his family are building a ship. His brothers are being naughty again and Nephi gets to shock his brothers by touching them. I had a thought for an object lesson, I could build up a bit of static electricity and let LQ have it..... Bordering on child abuse, you say? Ok, I may let that idea slide then. Other non-abusive activity ideas include:
- Using blocks to build a boat
- "Sewing" a sail for the boat (you can make a sail out of cardboard and punch holes around the edge. Then your toddler can have fun sewing with string or wool)
- The Living Scriptures has an activity book to go along with their dvd "Journey to the Promised Land". Remember you can download these activity books for free if you register (for free). There are a few colouring pages that can be used for this particular story.
Ideas from the Friend:
- March 1992 - Sharing Time: Nephi Builds a Ship (diorama)
- March 1988 - Nephi Builds a Ship - you could do as the article suggests, or you could also use the pictures for a matching card game.
- November 2000 - Journey to the Promised Land - This one is too old for Toddlers but is a great game to play with the entire family
My favourite scripture from 1 Nephi 17 is verse 3. I have been reading this one to LQ over the last two days. It is easy to summarize and it has a great message to it.
As always,... I am eager to know how you are doing. Send me an email sometime.