President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Week 22: Chapter 22 - Alma's Mission to Ammonihah

Book of Mormon Stories
Chapter 22: Alma's Mission to Ammonihah

This is a V.E.R.Y long story. I have decided to break it up to go over two weeks. I don't know about your toddler, but mine has a problem staying still for one page of little pictures, so I am not going to push my luck.

I thought I would read the story up until Zeezrom becomes converted. A good theme from this story is "Following the Promptings of the Holy Ghost". Missionary work would also be a good fall back theme. There's nothing like marching around the room singing "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission" a couple of times to raise the spirit!! After much thought I also came up with perseverance, bearing your testimony and personal revelation.

  • Amulek invited Alma back to his place for dinner. Invite the Elders over for dinner and have your toddler "help" make dinner. As you make dinner together, discuss how the Holy Ghost prompted Amulek to find Alma. Also point out that Alma was being a missionary by sharing the gospel.
  • Sing Listen, Listen (Children's Songbook pg 107)
  • An activity listed below from the August 2007 friend reminded me that LQ enjoys "helping" me sew. So I am going to attempt to have her help me sew a small quilt (a few squares maximum), reminding her as we do it that the Holy Ghost has many jobs including comforter.
  • Hold your own testimony meeting. Invite your friends or just have you and your toddler practice bearing your testimony in front of the stuffed toys.
  • Behold Your Little Ones - Nursery Manual has an entire lesson devoted to the Holy Ghost. It has one particular activity that involves gluing and cutting. I love all the suggestions in this lesson. Go have a look!

From the Friend
  • August 2007 - A colouring activity perfect for explaining how the Holy Ghost is a comforter.
  • May 2006 - LQ is a puzzle fiend and would really enjoy doing the puzzle on this page. If your toddler isn't so in to puzzles, why not try finding a similar picture and cut it into pieces you think he or she could handle?
  • July 1997 - A simple colouring and folding activity tells how we can invite the Holy Ghost into our lives every day.
On a different note - I am so happy to be back doing this!

5 comments:

  1. I'm happy you're back too. I saw this on FaceBook and immediately thought of you. It looks pretty cool.

    http://www.bomt.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this blog... I have been using it for a few months, now. We are only on about chapter 10, so we've been using your old posts. Thanks for all your great ideas... it has made it possible to have a really nice "scripture time" each day with my 3yo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. please keep doing this blog..i am so enjoying it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog looks like such a fantastic idea! I can't wait to peruse it at length!
    I was wondering if you would be willing to add the Follow by Email gadget to the sidebar so that I can subscribe to your posts and get them emailed directly to me!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic thing you are doing! I realize this is so much effort on your part, and the rest of us are benefiting for sure. But your family is receiving the full blessing, of this I know.

    Thank you for all the great ideas and resources. One suggestion - Is there any way you could change your settings so that when a person clicks on a link, it would go to that link in a new browser tab? When I click on a link on your site, it takes me away from your blog, then I have to backtrack.

    Anyway, thank you! I just found your site, but I will be back often!

    ReplyDelete