President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Monday, April 13, 2009

Week 9: Chapter 8 - Crossing the Sea

The Book of Mormon
Chapter 8: Crossing the Sea

"Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did apraise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions." 1 Nephi 18:16


There are a few scriptures in this weeks reading that I really enjoyed. One other that I just couldn't go past (which may or may not apply to me at the moment).... "And it came to pass that I aprayed unto the Lord; and after I had prayed the winds did cease, and the storm did cease, and there was a great calm." verse 21. I need some calm in my life, could it be that I'm not praying enough?

This week, Laman and Lemuel are back at it. Why oh why did that family bother to bring those boys along? They were trouble from the start. They are just two big bullies. Can you imagine being stuck on a boat with them for too long? Although, being stuck in a small place with your entire extended family is going to make you do some crazy things. Maybe I have a little bit of sympathy for them.

I can see some water play happening with this weeks activities. Lots of water swooshing and maybe I can tie LQ to a pole for a few days, just so she knows how poor Nephi felt. Ok... just joking - but really, does anyone else blame me? The terrible twos are setting in. Other non restrictive activities include:
  • Making our own boats and sailing them in the bath. Make a storm with fans, hands and watering cans.
  • Packing a picnic lunch (packing the boat) and taking it to the park (the promised land)
  • The Living Scriptures have a booklet "Journey to the Promised Land". I will be using some of the colouring pages
Ideas from the Friend:
There's not much more from the Friend (for this weeks ideas) that hasn't already been mentioned before on this blog. So go have a look at previous posts ... there should be a few links to the Friend that will correspond to this particular story.

I have been trying to think of an activity that involves the Liahona, but have been drawing a blank. If you have any ideas, please let me know, as I think the Liahona is a pivotal part of this story.

4 comments:

  1. While they're on 97% off sales, go pick up the biggest plastic Easter egg you can find. Fill it full of scraps of paper, each with a different 'clue' (a la treasure hunt), and do what each clue says. Have it lead to a "promised land" flowing with milk and...cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...ummm, that was a suggestion for your "Liahona" plans. Not just a way to keep WalMart's post-holiday sales up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just given your blog, and couldn't be more excited to find a mother of toddlers trying to teach them the gospel!! Thank you so much! I will be here often!
    Courtney Wallace
    http://wallacedepot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just found the 'promised land' in your blog. My son just turned 2 and I have really been thinking a lot lately about how to better teach him the gospel. I really and truly think your blog is an answer to prayer. I am not much for coming up with original ideas but I am an expert copycat. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!

    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!

    ReplyDelete