President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Day 1 - Read the Story

Today was my first day trying any of this. Remember I am just as new as you at this, so bear with me. If you have any ideas, let me know!!

For Day 1, I felt that just introducing the story was enough. I pointed to a few pictures and explained what was going on. We didn't quite get through the entire story, but I managed to point out that Angel Moroni showed Joseph Smith where the Gold Plates were hidden.

I think it is best if you read the story by yourself before hand and pick out the main points. Get a feel for how long your toddler will sit and listen and then edit the story accordingly.

My husband leaves for work at 6.30 every morning. So to start a time table that will help LQ realise when it's scripture study time, I have decided to say family prayer with daddy just before he leaves and then LQ and I will sit and study the scriptures immediately after.

Now is a good time to figure out when your child will be most settled and ready to have scripture study with you. If you can find a time that suits all your family members, then all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment