President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Week 2: Chapter 2 - Lehi Warns the People

Book of Mormon
Chapter 2 - Lehi Warns the People

I am really excited about the chapter this week. It is only one page and it only covers 20 verses of 1 Nephi chapter 1. My excitement stems from the fact that I may not "drown" in the story telling this week.

As far as posting goes, I have decided to do things a little differently this week. Because there is such a range in understanding among little children, I thought I would give you all my ideas for this week in this post. This means having a less rigid structure for each day and if there is something that works particularly well, you (or I) can do it maybe more than once during the week.

It's all about going with the flow and learning from our mistakes.

Here is what I have so far:

The living Scriptures (or LDSFamilyFun as I have found it to be called) has an activity booklet for "Nephi and the Brass Plates." The first few colouring pages cover Lehi warning the people. I think I will use those during the week.

The January 1996 Friend has a board game about Lehi and his travels. You could use this to introduce this story and the next in the book for children a little older. The linked page doesn't actually give you a diagram of the board game.... but it seems to me like it would be easy enough to make up (from reading the directions).

Role Play - Standing on a table (if mum allows it!) and preaching to the wicked people from Jerusalem (any stuffed toys that you have) should be a hit. I am also looking forward to pretending to be asleep and having a vision... that one should be fun!

Particular scriptures that I will read and explain include - 1 Nephi 1:1 (I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents), 1 Nephi 1:5, 1 Nephi 1:19 (over a few days), 1 Nephi 1:20 (again over a few different days)

I don't have any craft ideas for this week, but if you do, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous. This plan is really taking shape now. Time to advertise your blog. I assume it's on the MMB list? I'll give you a shout-out on my next post (which, at this rate, will be right around LQ's 16th birthday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks DeNae! You are the most popular blogger I know, so I feel like I am in the loop now!

    I have certainly advertised it on MMB. I was pleasantly surprised to have received some traffic directed from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I'm so lame! I forgot to mention it on my blog, but I went into the comments and put in a plug there! I hope it isn't too late, and I'll do better next time!

    Hugs,
    DeNae

    ReplyDelete