President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Teaching Our Children to Love the Scriptures

I am giving a talk in April the topic is "How can we show our love for the Saviour to our Children?". I am supposed to fluff this topic out for 10 - 15 minutes and I am a little unsure how many times I can say "example".

Enough about my talk topic woes. In a desperate search for an article that covers that exact topic, I found this talk by Ann G. Wirthlin. It just reconfirmed the importance of reading the scriptures with LQ.

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever read the nursery manual? (You were primary president, so probably yes, you have.) That entire book is filled with ways to demonstrate your love for Heavenly Father. Talk about your bodies. Talk about the earth, flowers, fish, sunshine, grandmas, beagles, grapes, grape soda, grape soda smiles, grape soda kisses...

    Example, yes. Conversation, yes. Let your kids overhear you telling someone else how much you love the Savior. Tell your kids how loving them makes you love HF even more because He gave them to you, and how loving HF helps you love them because everything you give to Him He gives back a million zillion times better.

    That should take five minutes at least. Then throw in an interpretive dance set to "Book of Mormon Stories", and I guarantee you'll have turned in one memorable sacrament meeting talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 sites I'd like to share with you:

    ldslisting.blogspot.com (A place to list your blog for free!)

    churchbabies.blogspot.com (Nursery ideas.)

    dottydotdotdesign2.blogspot.com (LDS Blogger Backgrounds)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I don't have a toddler anymore, but I do have a 5yr and these are still ideas I can use or even pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - thanks for the links! They were all really useful.

    Karie - Thanks so much for the kind words. Let me know of successes you may have from any of my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS was one of the talks I read when I first got called as Nursery Leader, all of them were about children and the scriptures !!
    I quote from it on our newsletter LOL
    I think that with children that music and learning go hand in hand, so we now find a song to go along with whatever we might be learning about in the scriptures and we all remember so much more : )

    ReplyDelete