President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives” (quoted in Church News, 6 Dec. 1997, 2)

Monday, March 23, 2009

Week 6: Chapter 6 - Lehi's Dream

The Book of Mormon
Chapter 6: Lehi's Dream


Ok.... this one's going to be rough. I won't pretend that reading the story of Lehi's dream to a toddler excites me. It does in fact leave me sweating bullets.

I am considering just mumbling my way through this chapter, but I think I can make some pretty poignant points with this one.

I have decided that I will start to eat Maltesers in front of LQ and then explain that I will share them with her because I know that she will like them too. Then explain that's what Lehi did in his dream... except it was fruit.... and it was actually GOOD for his family (we will skip lightly past all that). So that may be my first day.... OR I may do it every single day this week.

Some other ideas I have had include:
  • Following mummy around the room by holding on to the broomstick (iron rod, duh!)
  • Sing the chorus of the hymn "The Iron Rod" while marching around the room.
Look to the Friend for some ideas:
  • July 1998 - Joseph "Holds to the Iron Rod" - a flannel board story
  • August 2006 - For Little Friends - a story and activity ideas
  • August 2002 - The Lord's Temple - it's a stretch, but it's a poem with actions and talks about holding to the iron rod
  • January 1996 - The Wonderful Fruit - cards to be printed out can be printed twice to make a match up game. You could also do the suggested activity if you have a child prodigy.

I am going to read 1 Nephi 8:10 to LQ each day.


While I love researching and planning LQ's scripture study, I would also love to hear if you have a successful day with your toddler or if there is something that your toddler particularly likes to do. I am eager to post your successes and ideas, so go ahead and email me at toddlerscripture[at]gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. How about that great and spacious building? Big cardboard box, covered with colored jewels or something equally worldy, put all the stuffed animals in there, ashes, ashes, we all fall down!

    I'm sorry, Helen, that's all I got. But YOU'VE got 21 brilliant followers!!

    Let's hear from you, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! I just happened to find your blog and read this and oh gosh you got me laughing visualizing a woman with her toddler holding the broom stick!your ideas are so cute. I think I am going to be following your posts, they are great for clueless like me on how to teach the gospel to my kids, or on scripture study matters with little ones. You are awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a GREAT idea DeNae! I have the perfect diaper box that we can tear apart. LQ particularly likes fake laughing at the moment, so we will do well pretending to laugh like the wordly people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. akuadolce - thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can tell you that you would get your daily dose of laugh at our place what with all the broomstick holding :)

    As for following along, I hope you realise I am just as clueless and would love any input that you may have. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete